For all programmes:
- A first degree (normally we ask for a degree at 2.2 or above) from a recognised UK higher education institution (or equivalent overseas Qualification)
- GCSE Grade C/ Grade 4 or higher (or equivalent) in English, Mathematics, and Science
- Recent experience of working with children in educational settings in the Foundation Stage, Key Stage 1 or Key Stage 2. A minimum of two weeks school experience is normally required as part of the selection process
- The ability to communicate clearly and accurately in Standard English (both written and orally)
- A commitment to teach and a motivation to learn
- Well developed personal qualities and skills such as self-organisation, resilience and reflectiveness
- A commitment to equal opportunities
- Have passed the professional skills tests (you may apply before you have passed the skills tests but we would expect you to book them as soon as possible and to have passed them by the deadline set as part of your offer)
- Applicants for teacher training must hold a Grade A-C/ 4-9 pass in GCSE in English, Maths and Science or a qualification of equivalent level and breadth of subject. We do not accept Level 2 certificates in Adult Literacy or Adult Numeracy as we have been advised by the National College of Teaching and Leadership that there is insufficient breadth of information studied in these courses for entry to teacher training.
- If you hold a degree or other qualifications from a non-UK institution, you must verify their equivalence through the National Recognition Information Centre for the UK (UK NARIC): Tel: 01242 260 010. You will also need to supply written evidence of this information with your application.
- The NCTL can support you with obtaining school experience – see Getting School Experience, or email us for further support with arranging school experience.
Applicants who do not hold Maths, English, Science GCSE Grade C (or above)
If you do not hold a GCSE in Maths or English at grade C or above or an equivalent qualification, you can still apply as long as you indicate on your application form that you are taking an equivalency test. We accept equivalency tests from:
A*Star Teachers www.astarteachers.co.uk Tel: 020 7272 7070
Equivalency Testing www.equivalencytesting.co.uk Tel: 01277 203336
If you need support with arranging or preparing for your equivalency tests, please do get in touch.